AICI Code of Ethics
AICI Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct - As amended & restated October 10, 2006.
The Code of Ethics
Members of AICI shall:
- Act with integrity, competence, dignity, and in an ethical manner when dealing with the public, clients, prospects, employees and fellow members.
- Practice and encourage others to practice in a professional and ethical manner that will reflect credit on members and their profession.
- Strive to maintain and improve their competence and the competence of others in the profession.
- Use reasonable care and exercise independent professional judgment.
Standards of Professional Conduct
STANDARD I: FUNDAMENTAL RESPONSIBILITES
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations of any government, governmental agency, regulatory organization, licensing agency, or professional association governing the members’ professional activities.
- Not knowingly participate or assist in any violation of such laws, rules, or regulations.
- Not undertake any professional responsibilities unless, by training and experience, the member is competent to adequately perform the work required.
- Accurately represent qualifications, education, experience and affiliations in all forms of personal and professional communication as prescribed in AICI’s Bylaws.
STANDARD II: RELATIONSHIP WITH AND RESPONSIBILITES TO THE CLIENT
- Clearly define, verbally or in writing, the scope and nature of the project or services to be performed and all fees or costs involved in the project or services from conception to completion.
- Inform clients and prospective clients of any special relationship or circumstances that could be considered a conflict of interest.
- Hold client information in confidence, except as compelled by law.
STANDARD III: RELATIONSHIP WITH AND RESPONSIBILITES TO THE PROFESSION AND THE ASSOCIATION
A. Not engage in professional misconduct.
B. Not engage in any professional conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation or commit any act that reflects adversely on their honesty, trustworthiness, or professional competence.
C. Not knowingly endorse an individual who is unqualified with respect to education, training, and/or expertise, as per the established Bylaws and membership requirements of the Association.
- Not discriminate against anyone based upon economic factors, race, creed, ethnic background, gender, age, sexual preference, physical condition or country of origin.
E. Not, without permission or giving appropriate credit, use materials, client lists, titles and/or thematic creations originated by others. Members will take credit only for work created by them or by those under their paid supervision.
F. Hold inviolate any confidential information entrusted to them by a colleague, except as compelled by law.
G. Not be a party to any agreement to unfairly and/or inappropriately limit another consultant's access to the marketplace.
H. Not, by word or deed, cause unjust injury to another consultant's reputation and/or business relationship(s).
As a member of AICI, or as a non-member receiving an AICI designation, I am committed to and obligated by this Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct. I understand that any violation of this Code shall be determined using the established rules and procedures set forth by the AICI Ethics Committee. I understand that any disciplinary action shall be applied by AICI in accordance with the Bylaws and Policies and Procedures of the Association.
I hereby waive any and all claims, including claims for defamation and restraint of trade, that I may have against AICI or against any member of AICI arising out of any complaint, investigation, proceeding, or enforcement related to the Code of Ethics, including with respect to findings and disciplinary actions, up to and including expulsion.
I subscribe to the AICI Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct. My signature on this document means my pledge to abide by these standards.
Download a copy of the complete AICI Code of Ethics
If you’re concerned that a member has not lived up to the code of ethics, please download and read the Ethics Complaint Rules and Procedure. When directed by the procedure, complete this complaint form.