When you achieve AICI First Level Certification (AICI FLC), you can use the letters AICI FLC after your name. This shows clients, colleagues and the media that you have achieved a competent level of training and knowledge in the image field and that you keep abreast of current thinking and technical knowledge.
AICI confers AICI First Level Certification on those who successfully complete the AICI FLC Application process and pass the AICI FLC exam. (Please note: Applicants must complete both the AICI FLC Application and AICI FLC Exam before they may use the AICI FLC designation after their name.)
The first step toward AICI FLC certification is to complete the AICI FLC Application. The second step is to pass the AICI First Level Certification (AICI FLC) Exam.
On this page, you will learn more about:
- Exam Preparation
- Registering for the AICI FLC Exam as a Computer-Based Exam
AICI FLC Exam Preparation
You may use the documents listed below to help you prepare for the AICI FLC Exam.
Register for the AICI FLC Exam
AICI offers the AICI FLC Eam as a computer-based exam.
- The computer-based AICI FLC Exam is available in over 350 testing centers in the US and Canada and over 125 centers outside of the US and Canada.
- Each test center schedules available exam dates at least 30 days in advance. You will be able to choose the site, date, and time from the available list that best fits your schedule.
- Registration can be completed online at any time.
- The computer-based exam is available in English, French, Italian, Japanese, Portugues, Simplified Chinese, and Spanish; or, it can be taken as English as a Second Language.
- The fee is $545/members and $1,090/non-members
International Test Scheduling: If sites/dates are not available at your preferred location, you may click on the extended list to see a full list of sites in our network. You may then submit three preferred international sites/dates options. Castle cannot guarantee availability of any international site/date during the designated testing period. Within five (5) business days, Castle will issue a confirmation notice for one of the preferred sites/dates. If none of the preferred sites/dates are available, Castle will offer an alternate site/date for the candidate's approval. Upon approval, Castle will issue a confirmation notice.
Registration can be completed online at any time.
The computer-based exam is available in English, French, Italian, Japanese, Portugues, Simplified Chinese, and Spanish; or, it can be taken as English as a Second Language. However, all of your instructions and exam communications received from AICI or Castle Worldwide will be in English. Please note that interpreters or language dictionaries are not allowed.
You must be at least 18 years old to take the AICI FLC Exam.
Exam Fee: US$545 for AICI members and US$1,090 for non-members
How to Register:
- Review the AICI First Level Certification (FLC) Examination Handbook. This all-inclusive document is your key to preparing for the AICI FLC Exam and covers Examination Information, Testing and Appointment Information, Next Steps after Passing the AICI FLC Exam, Professional Standards/Code of Conduct, Recommended References and Exam Preparation Tips.
- Register for the AICI FLC Exam online.
US & Canada: If you will be taking the Exam in the US or Canada, register here.
International: If you are taking the exam outside of the US or Canada, register here.
When you register, be sure that you use the name on your government-issued photo ID. This may be different than the name you use for your AICI membership. You will be required to show your government-issued photo ID the day of the exam. If your name on your registration DOES NOT MATCH the name on your government-issues photo ID, you will NOT be allowed into the exam. There are no refunds.
- Ensure that your email program will accept emails from email@example.com.
- One week after your exam registration is received by AICI, your registration information will be sent to our testing partner, Castle Worldwide. You will receive a Notice of Schedule from Castle Worldwide, firstname.lastname@example.org. In the Notice of Schedule, you will click a link that will allow you to select your exam location and date of the exam.
- After you select your exam location and date of the exam, you will receive a second email from Castle Worldwide, email@example.com, that will confirm your exam location, date and time, and a list of what to bring with you the day of the exam.
Passing the Exam
You will receive your test score immediately when taking the exam as a computer-based exam. You will receive a hard copy letter of your exam results within six to eight weeks.
Next Steps After Passing the AICI FLC Exam
After you pass the AICI FLC exam, you will have completed your second step toward AICI FLC certification. Keep a copy of your letter with your passing information in your files. Your formal letter and certificate inferring upon you the designation of AICI FLC will be mailed to you six to eight weeks after passing the AICI FLC Exam.