Continuing Education Units – CEUs
Who needs CEUs……and How to earn CEUs
Who needs CEUs…
If you are certified with AICI (FLC, CIP, or CIM), you need to earn 2.4 CEUs every three years in order to maintain your certification. You may contact AICI HQ to get a copy of your current CEU Report. It is your responsibility to ensure you have the required 2.4 CEUs when your certification is due for renewal. Please note: If you are not yet certified with AICI, you are not required to earn CEUs.
Effective November 1st, 2007, AICI will not award CEUs to any programs that do not meet the criteria listed below. CEUs will not be awarded after the fact for programs not already CEU-approved.
How to earn CEUs…
CEUs measure learning events that are not part of an academic degree program. They are a measure of ongoing, continuing education.
AICI provides the following opportunities for its members to earn CEUs:
- Concurrents and Workshops at the AICI Annual Conference
- AICI Chapter Education Days that have been approved for CEUs
- Programs/Trainings approved by AICI to offer CEUs – For a current list of programs CEU'd by AICI, click here. It is your responsibility to ensure the program you are taking has been CEUd. Upcoming Programs are also listed in Connections.
- Follow-up on the AICI CEU-approved program you have completed. If you would like to make a comment about a course provided by an AICI CEU Provider, please contact the CEU Administrator at email@example.com or (515) 278-9053.
To earn CEUs through programs not offered through AICI:
- Programs must already be CEU-approved. This includes:
- Academic courses taken at a recognized Community College or University (provided they are not being taken as part of a degree program to receive academic credit)
- CEU-approved courses offered by private companies, such as Fred Pryor Seminars or National Seminars Training. An internet search will reveal numerous CEU-approved courses.
- Program content must be relevant to a category listed in the AICI Core Competencies.
- You must complete a Pre-Approval Application
- Submit the Pre-Approval Application to the CEU Chair for approval six (6) weeks prior to taking the program. CEUs will not be awarded for any courses that have not been pre-approved by the CEU Chair.
You cannot earn CEUs for the following activities:
- Academic credit courses if participant is receiving academic credit towards a degree or diploma
- Association membership and leadership activities
- Committee or Board meetings or retreats
- Entertainment & recreational activities
- Individual scholarship, such as writing books, research reports, etc.
- Mass media learning programs
- Self-directed study or independent learning
- Work experience
If you are a trainer who would like to have your program pre-approved to offer CEUs, please see AICI’s CEU Provider Program Application Packet.
Please contact the CEU Chair for any questions regarding CEUs.
Karen Brunger, AICI CIP
How Can I Earn CEUs at the Annual Conference?
If you attend the AICI Annual Conference, you will be awarded CEUs based on your attendance at concurrent or workshop sessions that have been approved to offer CEUs. CEUs are not awarded for the general sessions or entertainment portions of the Conference.
To receive CEUs for a workshop or concurrent, you must submit the Session Evaluation Form and the Learning Outcomes Form prior to leaving that concurrent session or workshop and have your CEU Verification Card stamped. You must submit your CEU Verification Card to the Conference Registration Desk prior to leaving the convention site. No CEUs will be awarded if these forms are not turned in at the proper time.
What CEU-Related Records Should I Keep?
Keep documentation that verifies all your CEUs. Documentation is not required for programs authorized through AICI to award CEUs. Although AICI does not issue CEU certificates for participants attending programs approved by AICI, we do record your CEUs in your permanent CEU record with AICI. Certificates are available for $10 for members and $25 for non-members.
What Records does AICI Keep?
AICI permanently maintains all CEU records. A CEU report is released at least once a year to all members. You can request your CEU status at any time.
All records are private and confidential. Only the VP Education and CEU Chair (for purposes of ensuring Professional or Master Certification status) may request a copy of your CEU record.