As the VP Education, you are responsible for one to two educational seminars during the AICI calendar year. Optimum months are late January or February or November, preferably not close to AICI’s Annual Conference. Chapter education days should be open to the public to encourage attendance by potential new members.
Educations days may be set up as fundraisers, and should make money for the chapter if expenses are kept under control and attendance is high. "Early Bird” registration (payment at least one week prior to the event) is a good way to get members to commit to attending. Attendees should receive CEU credit for participation.
- Plan programs with Board approval
- Determine budget with goal to be at least self-sustaining
- Book speaker(s) (Use this template Speaker Agreement)
- Schedule meeting room location, food service, and room set-up
- Write invitation copy and submit to President for approval
- Coordinate any needed artwork for invitations and/or programs
- Arrange for registration monies to be submitted to Treasurer
- Ensure that CEU credits are available (see How Can Our Chapter Offer Education Days That Are CEUd?)
- Keep a record of your work to pass to the incoming VP Education
- Must be approved prior to event by AICI’s CEU Administrator, Dr. Elizabeth Weinstein
- Certified members are required to earn 2.4 CEUs every three years, or an average of 0.8 CEUs per year
- One all-day program is usually 0.6 CEUs (0.1 CEU per hour of program time)
- A lunch break and two 15-minute breaks are mandatory and not included in CEU credit time
Learning outcomes are an integral element of the CEU credit process. Learning outcomes are what the participant will be able to do as a result of taking the course or what action the participant will take during the course to achieve the result.
- Send a "Save the Date” email notice to chapter members well in advance
- Promote the education day in the Chapter newsletter, Facebook, and any other way possible.
- Send event announcement and reminder emails to Chapter members; if offering an Early Bird rate, send a reminder the day before the rate expires
- Submit your event information to the VP Member Communication for possible inclusion on the AICI Website general calendar.
- Include registration fees and deadlines, information about the topic, and speaker bio
- Work with the Chapter VP Communications to send information to the press at least 3 weeks prior to event
Establish a phone tree two weeks prior to registration deadline, if needed. A personal invitation from a fellow member often generates more attendance.